Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Home » US Launches Emergency Response to Ebola Outbreak in Central Africa

US Launches Emergency Response to Ebola Outbreak in Central Africa

by UNI
0 comments 2 minutes read

The United States has launched a coordinated emergency response to a growing Ebola outbreak affecting the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda.

The US said in a statement released by the US Department of State of “activating an interagency coordination cell and incident management system within 24 hours of confirming cases on May 15.” U.S. embassies in the DRC, Rwanda, South Sudan, and Uganda have also established monitoring groups to track developments and communicate with American citizens in the region.

Officials said the response is focused on containing the outbreak before it reaches American shores, the United States is protecting the health of Americans at home and abroad.

The Department is convening a daily leadership-level meeting to ensure the response remains a top priority.

As part of the effort, the State Department updated travel advisories for the affected region and coordinated with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on a new Title 42 order issued May 18. The order bars entry into the United States for foreign nationals who have traveled to the DRC, Uganda, or South Sudan within the previous 21 days.

The Department is also working alongside the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. military on potential quarantine measures and possible repatriation of Americans impacted by the outbreak.

Within 48 hours of activating its response, the United States mobilized an initial $13 million in emergency foreign assistance. The funding will support surveillance systems, laboratory testing, public health communication, safe burial operations, border screening, and treatment efforts in affected countries.

Officials indicated additional bilateral funding for outbreak response and humanitarian relief is expected as the situation develops. The support builds on existing US health partnerships with the DRC and Uganda under the America First Global Health Strategy.

The Department also highlighted ongoing coordination with the United Nations, humanitarian agencies, the European Union, the United Kingdom, and other international partners. Part of a previously announced $1.8 billion contribution to UN OCHA pooled funds includes $250 million designated for the DRC and Uganda to strengthen humanitarian and outbreak response operations.

“American leadership remains indispensable in confronting global health threats,” the statement said, pledging continued U.S. support to contain the outbreak “quickly, decisively, and effectively,” according to a statement.

You may also like

Leave a Comment